If you have pallet racks, you have to make sure they are maintained properly. In doing so, they will last longer and you will prevent accidents from happening at work. Maintenance is hugely important. Here are the steps to take to make sure your rack is properly cared for.
1. Create an inspection program. Racks can only be maintained if you know what sort of problems there are or may be. Think about the size of your pallet rack and what you use it for. For heavy use racks, your program should include a daily visual inspection at the very least. If any damage is spotted, it must be reported immediately.
2. Be ready to make repairs. The two most common problems are buckled parts and bent parts. These need to be replaced as soon as possible. Some denting or skewing is easy to repair without replacing any parts. Simply add a few splices or braces and it should be fine again. Be aware of the fact that almost all of the damage to pallet racks happens between the first horizontal beam and the floor. Generally, when you are at floor level, you should be able to see any damage.
3. Make sure you check for rust. If you have a lot of moisture in your warehouse, or if the rack is outside, rust can be a significant problem. Anti-rust paint is generally a good way of preventing damage through oxidization.
4. Look for lagged areas. Most manufacturers will provide you with torque data and you have to make sure the lagged areas are tightened according to this data. This is the same for any bolts you want to tighten or loosen. Make sure you spot check various bolts so that you know none of the connections have slacked.
5. Last but not least, ensure there is proper lighting and cleanliness in operation all around your racks and in your warehouse in general. Storage areas have to be kept spotless and there should be no items left lying about, as these can cause accidents. By including proper lighting, you will make your racks more accessible and safer.
By following these steps, you will know that your racks will last as long as possible. This will save you a lot of money in the long run as well, since replacing racks is an expensive operation. You may also want to consider outsourcing the maintenance of your rack systems.
For more information in regards to pallet racking maintenance visit http://www.therackgroup.com/index.php?webpage=Proactive_Maintenance.html